I've spent several hours trying to setup and run windows mobile emulator (we're working on mobile UI for Checkvist), and here is the essence of my experience:
- Don't try to run this emulator under Parallels / Mac OS if you need to get a working network under the emulator. This is due to the fact that emulator uses Virtual PC functionality for setting up network, and it is not compatible with Parallels networking. In fact, I spent most of the time trying to overcome this problem, and failed :(
- Make sure your windows has .NET Framework 2.0 installed (this may be not the case for Win XP)
- As mentioned above, you also need Virtual PC 2007
- Install the standalone Windows Mobile Emulator
- Install and reinstall second time (repair) the Windows Mobile Emulator Images. I used 6.0 ones, but there is 6.1 version as well.
- Use these instructions to setup network in the emulator.